South Carolina’s legislators compromised this year to increase the base student cost allocation the state gives to K-12 public schools.
The Aiken Standard reports that the base student cost allocation will be $2,350 per student for the 2016-17 school year, up $130 from last year. There is also $23 million to buy new school buses to help replace a portion of South Carolina’s aging fleet.
In addition to the per-pupil money given to districts, an additional $10 million will go to school counselors and career specialists from the state’s Education and Economic Development Act. The EDA is meant is to better prepare students for the workforce and post-high school education through early career planning and an individualized curriculum.
Legislators also required that districts provide a 2 percent step increase for teachers based on their experience and a 2 percent cost-of-living adjustment for a total pay increase of 4 percent.
Gov. Nikki Haley signed legislation approving a school start date no earlier than Aug. 15 beginning with the 2017-18 school year.