South Carolina will need to pay at least $114 million for its share of recovery after the massive flooding in October, Governor Nikki Haley said Tuesday.
Haley told reporters Tuesday the overall costs to state government are around $438 million, but the federal government will be able to reimburse most of that through a 3-to-1 state match. The governor said she will ask the state legislature to use revenue generated by growth to pay that bill next year. “We are more than happy to take care of our share and that’s what we’ll do,” Haley said.
The governor said the estimates include the state’s obligations for damaged roads, bridges and other infrastructure. It does not cover private homeowner or business losses, which are believed to total more than $1 billion.
Haley is also asking the federal government for $140 million that the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development has estimated is needed for restoration costs to 2,600 properties for low-and-moderate income families.
Haley said there have been more than 90,000 applications for aid submitted to the Federal Emergency Management Administration. So far over 23,000 have been approved. FEMA has extended the deadline for applications to Jan. 4. “What we want to do is to get people back on their feet. And what FEMA does is they say that they have to get into a safe and sanitary environment,” said Haley.
Road closures peaked at 541 on Oct. 5 and 69 remain closed two months later. It’s not certain when they will all reopen.
Overall $300 million in public assistance was approved by FEMA. Private insurance claims total $181.1 million to this point.
Nineteen people died as a result of the flooding.