A man in Goose Creek was bitten by a snake while shopping at Wal-Mart.
“We were called to the Wal-Mart, and when we arrived we found a 31-year-old male who was bitten on the hand by a snake. The patient was complaining of physical pain to his left hand. We transported him and the deceased snake to the hospital,” says Chapman.
Goose Creek Fire Chief Keith Chapman says the snake was later identified as a Copperhead snake, which is venomous and popular in the Carolinas. Chapman says the man was just shopping, bent down to pick an item up in the garden section and was then bit.
“Snake bites in this part of the Lowcountry are not unusual, but a snake bite at a retail store is a little unusual,” says Chapman.
And as unusual as it was, Chapman says the store remained open.
“The store employees were assisting the man, and they had the area cornered off, but nothing really unusual at the store,” says Chapman.
The man, who’s name cannot be released, was taken to Trident Hospital in North Charleston. No word on his current condition, but Chapman says he expects him to be okay.