The U.S. Senate voted 60-39 to pass a health care reform package Thursday morning.
While Democrats were generally pleased, many Republican senators like South Carolina’s Lindsey Graham were not.
Graham says that the impact of the legislation is that 80 percent of Americans will find themselves in some form of government-run health care. He asserts that the remaining 20 percent of the population will soon be asked, if not required, to follow.
Republican Representative Joe Wilson says it’s a government takeover of health care. He says there are provisions that have not all been fully reviewed or debated.
Congressman Gresham Barrett says with so many sweetheart deals on the table, it is not surprising that the Administration and Democratic Leadership acquired the votes they needed in the Senate to push forward with the bill.
However, the South Carolina AARP released the following statement: “This clears the way to strengthen Medicare, ensure millions more Americans can get affordable health coverage and sharply curtail discriminatory insurance company practices that keep those most in need out of the system.”