The Citadel and its president are being sued for allegedly knowing about the behaviors of a man now indicted for serial child molestation and doing nothing to prosecute him or to protect other children.
Louis “Skip” ReVille was arrested in October of 2011 and has now been indicted on 22 charges of criminal sexual abuse.
Charleston personal injury attorney Mullins McLeod said in a Monday press conference that he has filed six civil lawsuits on behalf of three clients. One of his clients was a camper at The Citadel’s summer camp when ReVille worked there.
“The complaints allege detailed sexual abuse that was often painful for the victims and their families and has caused long-term effects and has forever altered their lives,” says McLeod. One plaintiff says he was molested “hundreds of separate occasions.”
In a federal complaint against president of The Citadel, John Rosa, plaintiffs allege Rosa did not alert law enforcement and did not take any action to protect children from ReVille. The three plaintiffs allege that in 2002, ReVille told The Citadel’s public safety officers that he had sexually abuse young boys and asked for help.
Two other plaintiffs are suing The Citadel, in essence claiming that if The Citadel had followed its own procedures for reporting conduct, then they would not have become subsequent victims. Read complaints.
The father of one of the victims is a graduate of The Citadel and says he called President Rosa himself to report that his son had been molested. The suit says, “The former camper and his parents were assured that The Citadel would investigate the allegations of ReVille’s sexual abuse and report him to the proper authorities.” That was years before ReVille was finally arrested.
McLeod says his client was very clear: “Most of all, the thing I want the most is just to make sure that Skip doesn’t have a chance to do this to anyone else.”
Plaintiffs are seeking actual and punitive damages in the suits.