Columbia firefighters had to put out an accidental cooking fire that started at their own station on Monday.
Columbia Fire Chief Aubrey Jenkins says a kitchen fire started at Fire Station 1 on 1800 Laurel Street around 6:30 pm.
According to Jenkins, food was being cooked in the building’s kitchen when both units assigned to the station were dispatched. He says, in the rush to get to the call, someone just forgot to turn off the stove.
“In an unintentional error a firefighter left a pot on a stove top and this is an example of how cooking fires can occur anywhere and to anyone, that’s why it is so important to never leave cooking food unattended,” Chief Jenkins said in a statement.
Damages from the fire are estimated to be $20,000. Most of that was water damage from the sprinkler system that activated after the fire started.