With the start of the holiday and winter seasons upon us, South Carolina State Fire Marshal Bert Polk is urging citizens to be fire safe.
Polk told South Carolina Radio Network that people using turkey fryers on Thanksgiving can cause house fires and injuries. “A boil-over brings the oil out onto an open flame, it can cause personal injury and it certainly can cause a fire,” Polk said.
Turkeys must be completely thawed before placing in a deep fryer. A partially thawed turkey will cause oil to splatter, causing serious burns. Use caution while touching the fryer as the lid and handle can become hot and cause burns. Never leave the fryer unattended when in use.
Polk said use a turkey fryer outdoors away from anything that can catch fire. “We don’t want to do that in the garage, we don’t want to do that too close to the house, “said Polk.
He said keep a fire extinguisher nearby just in case and keep children and pets far away.
Each year, statistics show that incidents of home fires and electrical accidents typically increase during the winter months. “In our state, during last year’s winter months, there were 27 fires and 36 fire deaths,” Polk said. “A third of the fatalities were related to heating.”