The chairman of a Columbia museum storing the Confederate battle flag removed from Statehouse grounds last summer indicated Thursday that it’s unlikely the flag’s future home will be decided this year.
According to the Associated Press, Confederate Relic Room & Military Museum Commission Chair George Dorn also recommended the commission not take a position on a state House budget proposal that would study possibly moving the museum’s collections to the Charleston area.
As part of its budget plan last week, the House required analysis of Charleston museum space and moving cost estimates. The Senate has not yet indicated whether it would sign off on the study.
The commander of South Carolina’s Sons of Confederate Veterans said his chapter opposes that idea. Leland Summers, a board member, says the museum needs to stay in Columbia.
The commission has previously backed a $3.6 million plan that would expand existing exhibit space in addition to a new $550,000 display for the flag removed from the Capitol grounds in July 2015. However, House members question if a better long-term strategy is needed, given the museum’s relatively few visitors and $120,000 in revenue.