North Charleston’s mayor and police chief have declined invitations to attend a rally about local police practices. The rally comes a year after a North Charleston officer shot and killed an unarmed black man in the back as he fled from a traffic stop struggle.
The Post and Courier reports more than 2,000 people are expected for the rally next Monday sponsored by the Charleston Area Justice Ministry.
A city spokesman told the newspaper that North Charleston Mayor Keith Summey isn’t opposed to dialogue, but that he and Police Chief Eddie Driggers met with 50 members of the group last month. The spokesman said instead of a dialogue, the session was a rebuke of city officials and the police.
Former officer Michael Slager is awaiting trial for murder in the shooting of Walter Scott. A witness’s cell phone video showed the officer shot Scott as Scott ran from him following a struggle. Slager had stopped Scott for a taillight issue minutes earlier, according to North Charleston Police.